Food: The members share three to four communal, vegetarian dinners each week, centered around locally grown, seasonal produce. The backyard provides ample space for growing vegetables, herbs, and fruit trees.
Transportation: Residents reduce the number of car trips by bicycling or riding Metro to work, for errands, and to entertainment when possible.
Community: uRth Haus is a diverse community with members from many different backgrounds. We are accepting and affirming of all races, ethnicities, ages (above 21), gender identities, sexual orientations, religions, etc. We are a community that is open and mindful about inclusive language and inclusive practices.
Location: Thanks in part to the location, a car-free life is a serious possibility for residents of the house. The house stands just east of Almeda Road, on the eastern edge of the Museum Park super neighborhood. While it is about eight blocks from the nearest Metrorail stop (Wheeler Station), the eventual completion of the University Line would place a light rail stop two blocks away at Wheeler and Almeda. The house is convenient to bus lines 11-Almeda, 80-Dowling, and 5-Southmore, as well as the six routes that serve Wheeler Station (1-Hospital, 8-South Main, 25-Wheeler, 60-MacGregor, 65-Bissonnet, & 132-Harwin Limited).
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU LIVE AT URTH
- Good food! Staple foods are available to members for all meals
- Collective, consensus decision-making
- Conflict resolution with the aid of our Trustee officer
- Efforts to reduce our "ecological footprint" — reducing waste, efficient use of resources, and reducing dependence on nonrenewable resources
- Sharing skills and knowledge (gardening, cooking, maintenance, etc.)
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from co-op members around the country through organizations like NASCO.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF MEMBERS
- All members are committed to regular duties that are listed below:
- Prompt payment of monthly rent (includes utilities, groceries, wifi...everything!)
- House meetings every other week on Thursday night at 8PM
- 4-5 hours of labor individually and with labor teams (i.e. cooking, cleaning, shopping, gardening, etc.)
- Officer positions, which take a more explicit role in house duties (treasurer, secretary, social, etc.)
click the room name to expand the details